Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 14:56:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dale Benzer <ipc1@tribeca.ios.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1 kernel builds

Hi,

I'm trying to customize my kernal on a new install of FreeBSD 2.1. The
Handbook says the GENERIC should be in /usr/src/sys/i386, but I don't
even have anything in the /usr/src directory let alone the sys.

I do have a file named kernel on my / directory and a kernel.GENERIC in
the same place. I seem to have a /sys directory, but when I try to cd to
it, BSD tells me there is no such directory. And vi denies it is a file.

Anyway, the Handbook seems to be wrong for version 2.1. Are there
instructions somewhere so I can get the nonexistant devices out of the
kernel??

Thanks,

Dale Benzer