Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:25:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Fred Cox <sailorfred@yahoo.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: www/dotproject out of date and vulnerable

--- Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 06:02:52PM -0700, Fred Cox
> wrote:
> > --- Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 05:15:45PM -0700, Fred
> Cox

> installs
> > > it,

> PHP

> > > found, it
> > >
> > > OK, so it's just silently broken, which is
> worse.
> > >

> > It's still better than the current situation.
>
> Publishing packages that will not run because
> they're linked to the
> wrong libraries is, again, not my idea of "better".

There is no linkage problem.  It's a client/server
problem.

PHP4 is perfectly happy being linked with the MySQL 5
client libraries, it's the database server that needs
to be 3.23.  The SQL used in dotProject is legal for
3.23, but not 5.

> > > mysql

> system.
> > >
> > > Dunno without investigating.  Anyway, the
> correct
> > > solution is the
> > > same.
> > >

> > OK, so if you had a pointer on how to depend on
> that
> > alternate version, it would help.
>
> Copy the php4-mysql port to php4-mysql3 and make the
> presumably
> trivial change to make it use mysql 3 instead of
> whatever the default
> is.

It's not trivial.  The current Makefile is trivial,
but a change to do what you're suggesting will need to
be more complex.

Here's the current php4-mysql Makefile:

CATEGORIES=     databases

MASTERDIR=      ${.CURDIR}/../../lang/php4

PKGNAMESUFFIX=  -mysql

.include "${MASTERDIR}/Makefile"

The ${MASTERDIR}/Makefile doesn't refer to mysql at
all.

Personally, I don't see how it knows it's supposed to
link MySQL in there.  Perhaps it's because PHP4
defaults to including MySQL support, so this isn't
really doing anything.  I haven't read far enough to
know for sure.