Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:52:15 -0400
From:      Troy Landers <tdl@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.com
Cc:        tdl@widomaker.com
Subject:   EIDE CDROM, Motherboard & USB  questions...

Hi all,

I am upgrading an old 386/33 system that is struggling to run FreeBSD
now, to something that will perform respectably well. I have a few
questions regarding the hardware I am about to purchase.

( I posted the first question earlier this week but was not subscribed
to the freebsd-questions mailing list. :(   Please if you responded to
the earlier queston could you Email me a copy directly, I missed any

1)...
I am about to purchase an IDE 8x CDROM drive. I have some concerns using
it with FreeBSD, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to avoid the additional cost of a SCSI version of the same
drive and that of a SCSI controller card, at the same time I don't want
to spend less money on something that is known _not_ to work.

Is anyone using an E-IDE 8x CDROM with FreeBSD?, if so what brand? Had
any problems?

I have seen statements such as "All non-SCSI cards are known to be
extremely slow compared to SCSI drives.", does this include the EIDE
controller built into most new motherboards? & is this still true?  is
there nothing I can do to get the performance I should expect?

Also is the statement "ATAPI compatible IDE CD-ROMs (should be
considered experimental)", still true? I thought I saw something about a
new driver or something that integrates IDE CDROM's with FreeBSD or did
I mis-understand something?

2)...
I am also about to purchase a Tyan Tomcat II motherboard and run FreeBSD
on it. If anyone out there has one of these have you had any problems?

I plan to run with only one CPU at first, cost constraints, you know
:( , it has been mentioned to me that these dual CPU boards might use
two different CPU's, a master and a slave, I have not found anything
that says the two CPU's are different, can anyone shed some light on
this? and to both CPU's have to be the same speed?

3)...
Also, is there FreeBSD support for the Universal Serial Bus (USB), or
are there plans to support USB?  I am trying to decide if I should wait
on the new version, the Tyan Tomcat II+ that will have USB built in.

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Troy-

  Troy D. Landes