Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:21:34 -0700
From:      Robin Schoonover <end@endif.cjb.net>
To:        "Karel J. Bosschaart" <K.J.Bosschaart@tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Enemy Territory

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:11:30 +0100, "Karel J. Bosschaart"
<K.J.Bosschaart@tue.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:55:38PM +0100, Robin Schoonover wrote:
> >
> > On a slightly related note, I've been trying to run some of the linux
> > loki demos under FreeBSD.  All work (plus heretic II, which has
> > software rendering), except the ones labeled "3d Acceleration".  The
> > ones labeled "3d Acceleration" tend to crash X.
> >
> > One thing I've noticed is when X is started it displays:
> > (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load GLX
> >
> > It appears to be finding the GLX stuff, but when it tries to load it,
> > it can't.  If it helps any, I have a 'GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X'.
> >
> Games are running fine for me with the Nvidia driver and a GeForce4
> Ti4200, on a -stable system. Below is a list I made some time ago with
> the games I can run successfully, with some notes. 'pcm' denotes the
> native FreeBSD sound driver, 'OSS' the (commercial) driver by Opensound.
> I have plans to make a website with this info as well as install notes
> and a forum for asking questions; I don't know though if there is a lot
> of need for this. Some time ago, the forum at swissgeeks closed down soon
> due to lack of interest. Personally, I'd like some chit-chat about gaming
> on FreeBSD :-).

I haven't been much of a gamer since a virus wiped the windows box I was
using a couple years ago, and that kinda turned me away from windows.  Then
I used FreeBSD on an old (formerly dos) machine, and there wasn't really
any hard drive space for anything, including games.

Now that I have a reasonably new computer (running FreeBSD of course), I
decided to try a few games.  It didn't take me long to find the loki demo
stuff.

> 2003-09-09 Linux games on FreeBSD
>
> Hardware: Athlon 1.4 GHz, Asus A7M266, 512 MB RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4200
> 128MB, onboa rd sound CMI8738.
> OS      : FreeBSD 4.x (currently 4.9-PRERELEASE)

Here is where we are really different.  I'm running 5.1 (and this means I
won't be saddened if things don't work, since I knew things like this might
happened when I installed it).  I have an Athlon 2 GHz, 512 MB ram,
GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X, and for sound, I have 'CMI9739'.

[snip list]

Nice list of games...I should look into a few of those.  And just
because, here is my list (even ones that don't work):
Game                          Works           Sound  Remarks
Descent 3 (demo)              no (crashes X)
Heretic II (demo)             yes             ew     Must use software
                                                     rendering
Heros of M and M III (demo)   yes             yes
Kohan: IS (demo)              yes             yes
Myth II: Soulblighter (demo)  no (crashes)
Railroad Tychoon II (demo)    yes             yes
Simcity 3000 unlimited (demo) no (crashes)
SM's Alpha Centauri (demo)    yes             ?
SM's Alien Crossfire (demo)   no
UT2003 (demo)                 no                     I should try playing
                                                     this again
Soldier of Fortune (deno)     no (crashes)

Bizarre, Alien Crossfire seems to have written over Alpha Centauri, so I
can't really test the sound for Alpha Centauri until I deinstall Alien
Crossfire and reinstall Alpha Centauri.  Soldier of Fortune, Myth II:
Soulblighter and Descent 3 all require 3d accel...

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
#  This space intentionally has nothing but text explaining why this