Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 17:44:56 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pop up notice for x

On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 06:46:51AM -0400, Ben Williams wrote:
>    If you're using /bin/sh you might need to separate your 'export...'
> line like this:
>
> DISPLAY=:0.0
> export DISPLAY
>
>    I seem to recall the export <varname>[=<value>] is a bash
> enhancement that is not present in all shells. Also how are you
> running X? If by startx then you probably don't have any xauth issues
> but if you're running from xdm you may need to man xauth.

well, i sort of got it working, but now when the battery is low, the message
pops up every few seconds.  i might change the threshold so it only shows
the message while the battery rating is equal to a certain level rahter than
less than or equal to.  apparently, it now works from a script and is able
to show the window on X.

jm