Date:      Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:36:11 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
Cc:        bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT over bluetooth for mobile devices

07.06.2010 20:49, Maksim Yevmenkin написав(ла):
>> It may be simpler if the communication was over some other, widely
>> available, profile. A customized daemon (perhaps even a patched-up ppp)
>>
> well, that's the point. standard bluetooth profiles that provide local
> network connectivity are pretty much dun, lan and panu/nap/gn. those
> are likely to be disabled.

I thought, the computer can talk with a cooperating piece of software on
the device over ANY protocol. As long as the two can parley over a
digital-quality (lossless) medium, we are fine... If that's true, the
communication can be over the file-exchange "profile", for example. Or,
the computer can even pretend to be "speakers", on which the natd
running on the device will be "playing".
> like i said, i don't think it matters. data connection is always
> originated from the device. i don't think service provider can
> actually tell whether or not device is used as 'modem'  or as a
> 'gateway'. hence the request to completely disable certain bluetooth
> services.

The only ways to connect via a mobile device, that I've seen, involved
the device pretending to be a "modem" and the computer "dialing" a
certain, provider-specified "number" (such as |*99***1#|) to establish a
PPP-link. That "number" can be disabled by the provider...

But they can't /completely/ disable communication with the user's
computer, so if there is a cooperating piece of software running on the
device, it can do anything...
> mobile device sdk :) blackberry actually has java me at the lowest
> level. it supposedly confirms to midp and cldc. how bad can it be
> really? :) the other problem is that such application would probably
> never be allowed by service providers and/or device manufacturer :)

Blackberries allow owners to install their own software, so that's the
best bet. There are even some ssh-clients for Blackberries -- including
a free <http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/>; one, so low-level TCP/IP is
certainly available to "home-grown" applications.

Droid-based phones run Linux, so it may be possible to modify the Linux'
natd (whatever it is) to do it. iPhones may be even easier, but it has
to involve jail-breaking...

    -mi