Date:      Tue, 11 May 2010 09:53:38 HST
From:      osp@aloha.com
Subject:   RE: user friendliest gui

On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:49:51 +0000 Jean-Paul Natola
<jnatola@familycareintl.org> wrote:

> For virus/malware
>
> Sorry bout that

To anser your question, I prefer Gnome.

See http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/
as well as some of my notes at http://wiki.openslate.net/

Having said that, it sounds like your application does not require all that
special gnomieness. Understand that installing and maintaining Gnome is a
large project all it's own. If you don't need it, why bother?

Consider just installing x.org and a nice window manager like sawfish or
blackbox.

See http://xwinman.org/ and poke around in /usr/ports/x11-wm on your
FreeBSD system.

If the world were perfect I would tell you to install Squeak and develop
what you need in smalltalk. I love Squeak, but I cannot say how effective
it would be at providing a GUI to whatever command line drive scanner you
intend to use. You can easily customize the basic configuration (called an
image) to eliminate what you do not require.

http://www.squeak.org/

Another way to go would be my second most favorite language, tcl/tk. Easy
to do the command line interface, but a lot more utilitarian than Squeak.

http://www.tcl.tk/

What happens when a bug is detected? Do sirens go off? Steel doors slam
down at all entrances?

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project