Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 16:17:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Daniel Ortmann <ortmann@sparc.isl.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: consistent "make -k buildworld" crash with 2 swap partitions

:The /etc/fstab which enables the crash is the following.  To fix it
:comment out the second swap.  Note they are on separate drives.
:...
:I should also mention that I am running softupdates.
:
:
:If both swap partitions are enabled then "make -k buildworld" crashes
:the system with ABSOLUTE CONSISTENCY.

    If the system is crashing there should be a panic message.  What
    panic are you getting when it crashes?

    You may want to add the DDB kernel config option to your kernel config,
    recompile, and reinstall, which should knock the system into the DDB
    debugger when it crashes and enable you to see what the panic
    message was and do a 'trace'.

						-Matt

:Since this behavior has been around for about a year (???) I assume my
:system configuration must be unusual ... or surely this would have been
:discovered and fixed earlier.
:
:Several months ago a bug was found with dual swap partitions.  It
:involved some cross-partition alignment problem.  When that bug was
:fixed most of my crashes disappeared.  Except for this problem.
:But "make -k buildworld" continued to crash the system.