Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:44:02 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rman_get_virtual() on alpha

Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > So, what's the situation these days with rman_get_virtual()?  if_fxp explod
    es
> > on the alpha because it allocates SYS_RES_MEMORY and wants the virtual
> > address of it, but the alpha still is returning physical addresses it seems
    .

> > It seems to me we might need some alternative to rman_get_virtual since it
> > doesn't have enough context and is just a hack.  Perhaps allocating memory
> > and activating a mapping etc needs to be seperate bus methods?  That way we
> > can allocate memory, and later activate it (pmap_mapdev on x86, BWX, or
> > DENSE on Alpha as requested) and free it's kvm mappings?
>
> The fxp driver should probable use SYS_RES_DENSE to get the right virtual
> pointer. It would certainly be a lot cleaner to separate the resource
> allocation from the virtual mapping.

The question is though, allocating memory resources on the alpha - does it
depend on the mapping type (dense vs. bwx)?  Or is that decision better
left to mapping time?  And can we fit this in with bus_space etc?  (NetBSD
has a bus_space_map() function to map bus space into kvm, maybe we need a
parallel to that such that we don't have to expose DENSE/BWX etc mappings
to drivers).  Or maybe map it in both dense and bwx space and let bus_space
use whichever method is convenient?

Cheers,
-Peter