Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 01:41:03 -0700
From:      Jason DiCioccio <geniusj@bluenugget.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RAID5

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

Hi!

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:49:31AM -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
>=20
>      I used to use vinum, but I'm now using a 3ware controller.  It's
> *SOOO* nice to have something that's easy to set up, yet "just works".
>=20
>      My issues with vinum are:
>=20
> [ Note: it's been a year or two since I've used vinum, and so the
>   following may be out-of-date.  Corrections appreciated.  ]
>=20
> * Once set up, vinum works well, but it takes a lot of hard reading to
>   set up.  The actual work itself is not hard, mind you, but it's
>   difficult to figure out what you need to put into the config file.

vinum, IMHO, has the BEST manpage I've ever seen out of an open source prod=
uct.
It has a ton of examples  and explains things very well although it's quite
lengthy.  Therefore i'm not sure what the issue was with setting up the mir=
ror.
It might require a bit of reading at first but once you find it, you realiz=
e=20
that vinum is really a cinch :)

>=20
>   It's *SO* much easier to configure the 3ware controller ....

Never done it:)
>=20
> * Vinum is not part of the GENERIC kernel.  I had /usr on a
>   vinum-controlled partition, and upgrading FreeBSD via CDs was a royal
>   pain.  I basically had to do the upgrade to the root drive (moving
>   /usr out of the way, rebuild the kernel with vinum, reboot, and then
>   copy/move the contents of /usr into the vinum-controlled /usr --
>   bleah).
>=20
>   [ Today, I should be able to kldload vinum, but I don't think I can do
>     this at install time from the CDROM, and so I'd still have to play
>     games with /usr.  ]
>=20
>   The 3ware driver is part of GENERIC, and so upgrades/installation is
>   completely painless.
>=20
>   My root partition is also on a 3ware-controlled drive; you can't do
>   this with vinum (vinum is, however, very cost-effective ;-).
>=20
> * (This may have changed.)  There is no documentation on how to do
>   disaster recovery with vinum.  The procedure is (roughly) documented
>   with 3ware (although I should, but have not, admittedly, tested it).
>=20

Hmm.. I think I remember seeing some documentation on disaster recovery.  S=
uch
as detaching mirrors, etc.

Cheers,
-JD-