Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:08:41 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        DukOnALake@aol.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My system doesn't work.  What's wrong???

At 01:19 PM 7/27/98 -0400, DukOnALake@aol.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>       I have the FreeBSD Walnut Creek CD and have had no luck installing it.
>Perhaps it is not possible.  Following is a description of my system, could
>you tell me if it is possible without major reorganization?
>
>Intel 166MMX
>64MB RAM
>HDD0=2.5GB IDE
>HDD1=6.5GB IDE
>CD-ROMs (2)
>
>       Okay, the first HDD has a primary DOS partition C:=2GB and an extended
>DOS partition D:=500MB.  The second HDD has three extended DOS partitions E:,
>F:, and G:  The CD-ROMS are H: and I: and a networked machine's drive is J:
>The primary DOS partition has 700MB free space, the total free space is 5GB.
>Anyway, I bought the second HDD so I could install FreeBSD, but have had no
>luck.  I tried putting a primary DOS partition on the second drive but it
>rearranged my drive letters, making D: into E: and calling the second primary
>D:  Well that hosed my day, so I went back to the original plan, only one
>primary.
>
>       I RTFMmed on the cd/book/book.txt, pages 34-40 or so and stopped when
>it said something like:  it must be installed in the first 504 MB,
repartition
>using...  I said, "oops".  Should I bag it and get another machine to use for
>UNIX?  I have spent the better part of this year trying to understand and
make
>Windoze 95 into something I can stomach, and I hate to screw it all up.

I'm not sure the "first 504MB" limitation exists any more, with modern
BIOSes. Although a "first 1024 cylinders" limitation may exist (which is at
8.4GB with LBA BIOSes). A good boot manager like OSBS or System Commander
could boot FreeBSD from your second hard drive.

>       I will really appreciate any advice that you can give me.  Thank you
>for your time.
>
>Steven Minton

Just to make a point clear here: FreeBSD doesn't install to a DOS
partition. A FreeBSD partition will not have a driver letter in Windows 95.
If you want to install FreeBSD onto your second hard drive, delete some
partitions so you wind up with free/unpartitioned space.
How exactly are you having "no luck"? Are you getting an error message?

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org