Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 22:38:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru, tlambert@primenet.com, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM: Process hangs sleeping on vmpfw

> > But you must write correct getpages/putpages for unionfs in any case.
> > Or, better, make a bypass routine for unionfs, to avoid similar
> > problems with future new vnode operations :-).
>
> Unless I'm mistaken here the contention is between Terry's point of
> view where all filesystems should be stackable, and Dima's where
> filesystems may optionally make themselves stackable.
>
> If I'm right, do we have a decision one way or the other?  And if so, a
> *comprehensive* set of patches that cover the conversion>
>
> I'm happy to fight the style-nit and getting-it-done wars, but I gotta
> have the ammunition first. 8)

This is a very succinct statement of the problem.

I don't know if I can make the bypass work without NULL decriptor
entries that don't result in defaultops being called.

I also notice that the number of local media FS's is expected to
fall (ie: LFS died), while the number of stacking FS's are expected
to rise (ie: I expect to provide 3 or more, and other people have
been considering ACL and cryptographic stacking layers).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.