Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 13:05:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
Cc:        Ryan Duda <spam@distance.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, port@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   qmail not-installable -- wasRe: (pw) command hanging in -C.

The current port of qmail will not install on a very recent -current box
(fresh install), if the qmail users do not already exist.

For me, pwd_mkdb -C is hanging, hence pw never returns.  If you kill the
pwd_mkdb, then the line is added to the master.passwd file, and running
pwd_mkdb manually will get it intot he proper .db files.

Running the exact command from the command line works fine.

I don't know what this "read a string from stdin" mumbojumbo is from, pw
certainly doesn't read anything from stdin that I know of.  It can be
forced to read a password from a different file descriptor, but that's not
the case here.