Date:      Wed, 28 May 1997 19:35:20 +0000
From:      "Riley J. McIntire" <chaos@mail.tgci.com>
To:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can one dual boot fbsd?  No?  (was Re: wd0/sd0 can't bo

> Date:          Wed, 28 May 1997 09:33:37 +0300
> From:          Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
> To:            chaos@tgci.com
> Cc:            questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:       Re: Can one dual boot fbsd?  No?  (was Re: wd0/sd0 can't boot from s

> Riley J. McIntire wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm...maybe I'm not clear.  I would like to know if one can dual
> > boot two versions of fbsd residing on two disks:  One an ide
> > and one a scsi?
>
> Never tried it, but it should be possible.
>

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Riley
> >
> > > Just installed 2.2.2-release on the only scsi drive in my
> > > system--disabled the ide controller in cmos from previous experience.
> > >
> > > Anyway, install goes ok, boots ok.  Enabled the ide drive, which has
> > > 2.1.7 on it.  Gets the boot prompt F1 -DOS, F2-2.1.7 and F5 2nd DISK.
> > >
> > > Press F5 and get "F?".  I've seen this before, and done the fixes
> > > recommended by assuming this is a geometry problem.  It doesn't seem
> > > to be.
> > >
> > > Used booteasy 2 beta (8?).  No help.
> > >
> > > When F2 is pressed (ide drive 2.1.7) at the boot prompt I type in
> > > sd(0,a)/kernel and it boots wd(0,a)/kernel with no errors.  That is
> > > it *seems* to take the arguement "sd(0,a)" but runs wd(0,a) and it
> > > ends up running 2.1.7, not 2.2.2-R.
>
> Try giving:
> 1:sd(0,a)/kernel

That worked!  I did try it in a previous incarnation, but the config
was differnent.

Now, why doesn't the boot loader work?  Not a big deal, but a theory
would be nice.

I have what I need (abscent a power failure while i'm gone) to boot
the 2.2.2 scsi disk and mount the 2.1.7 IDE disk.

Thanks,

Riley