Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 15:11:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        chris@usa.nai.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   What about... was: Re: -Stable, credit card donations to FreeBSD, Inc.

I think Paul's analysis vastly oversimplifies the issue.  Anybody could
take  a CD, and offer it at a cheaper price.  Doesn't mean they'll sell
enough of them to dent walnut creek.

Perhaps WC could stick a sticker on the box that says "Some amount of
money from this sale goes to furthering development".

Or a higher-priced subscription plan.

Or how about selling access to an "exclusive" mailing list, that is shared
with the developers?

I would pay money if my technical issue questions, as opposed to generic
"anybody seen a ...." questions were sent directly to the developers, and
I *knew* that it was followed by the developers.  Even if not acted upon.

That's essentially what I get when I buy support from BSD/OS.  I rarely
actually get help now (don't need it), but the messages get filed away for
"future reference", and occasionally, somebody like Chris or somebody else
moderately famous in the BSD community, but whose name I can't remember,
sends me a more detailed treatise.

Too many times, I see the hardcore developers talk about avoiding reading
the lists, because it consumes too much time...  I'd pay to be on a list
that they would always attempt to read...

Or tie the mailing list in with a higher priced FreeBSD subscription plan.

The bean-counters here have a hard time with "donation", but wouldn't
blink 2x if it was called a "support list", or whatever.  It would be no
different than purchasing a Mickey Soft Developer Network subscription.

I agree with the user that said this thing has real potential.  I have
converted my whole operation over to FreeBSD, except for 1 box which I
won't reboot, because it's been up so long, and 1 box which requires a
working 2940UW driver, which at the time I installed, there wasn't, and
BSD/OS had it.

Frankly, a paid subscription list may work better for the developers
anyway.  Somebody's paying money to be on the list, the implication being
that they think enough of the product to pay for the list, so it would
behoove a developer to at least take a gander at the issue/problem, in
order to keep the $$$'s rolling in that would hopefully pay somebody else
to do menial work that the developer is currently having to do, instead of
hacking on FreeBSD.