Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 19:22:55 -0400
From:      Niels Provos <provos@citi.umich.edu>
To:        karin@root66.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Subject:   Re: sandboxing untrusted binaries

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 02:56:53PM +0000, karin@root66.org wrote:
> Netscape for instance needs to execute other binaries, the user should
> be allowed to specify which binaries. Netscape needs to write cache
> files, any hacker exploiting netscape can use that to create a new
> process which isn't systrace-profiled.
This is not correct.  I suggest that you look at the systrace web page
again and read all the information there.  It is very feasible and
desirable to run any third-party software under systrace.

For example, it is not possible for netscape to create a process that
is not monitored.  I suggest that you look at the sample konquerer
policy.

> I suggest getting over the illusion hackers won't be able to hack the
> system if you narrow them a bit, the binaries you run still need
> capabilities to correctly function, which are always enough to hack the
> system.
This is not correct either.  There is no illusion here.  Please, give
me an example where the capabilities needed "are always enough to hack
the system."  Say gaim or opera.

> this is very specific for the program, you can't make judgements like
> this without being sure for what applications this applies.
In reverse, for which application is the assumption that read and
write are frequently executed system calls incorrect?

Niels.