Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2007 03:30:08 GMT
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/111992: BTX failed - HP Laptop dv2315nr

The following reply was made to PR amd64/111992; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To: "Joe t." <joe4usmc@aol.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:28:17 -0500

 On 4/21/07, Joe t. <joe4usmc@aol.com> wrote:
 > The boot loader appears to initiate properly, and then loops endlessly.
 > It shows these few lines of text:
 >
 > CD Loader 1.2
 >
 > Building the boot loader arguments
 > Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... Found
 > Relocating the loader and the BTX
 > Starting the BTX loader
 >
 > BTX loader 1.00   BTX version is 1.01
 > Consoles: internal video/keyboard
 > BIOS CD is cd0
 > BIOS drive C: is disk0
 > BIOS 631kB/915520kB available memory
 >
 > Freebsd/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
 > (root@portnoy.cse.buffalo.edu, Fri Jan 12 06:34:52 UTC 2007)

 > This is followed by an endless loop of text which scrolls too fast on the screen to read. I believe it is alternating two lines of text.
 >
 > cst = 00000000   abc = 00000000  xyz = 00000000
 > BTX = 00000000   xyz = 00000000  abc = 00000000
 >
 > The zeros are alpha-numeric sequences which I can't read.

 I had the same problem booting FreeBSD/AMD64 (6.1 & 6.2 RELEASE) from
 the install CD on a HP dv8000 system.

 I found a work around, in which if I press the spacebar until I see on
 the screen that it is loading the kernel (i.e. /boot/kernel/kernel),
 it will boot into the installer.  After you get the system installed,
 it won't have any problems booting off the HD.

 see PR 105514

 Scot
 --
 DISCLAIMER:
 No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.