Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:07:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <siremick@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86, Anti-aliasing, Truetype, Freetype

I'm close but not quite there yet, so I need some more help...

FreeBSD 4.7-REL, Xfree86 4.2.0, Enlightenment 0.16.5, OpenOffice 1.0.1,
recent Mozilla nightly, Freetype 1.3.1, Freetype2 2.1.2

I have Truetype fonts working, and they're even anti-aliased in OO, but they
look like crap (certainly not like on a Windoze system).

My TTF fonts are in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF but I can only get them to
appear if I have the following line in XF86Config:

FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF"

According to the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html#ANTIALIAS

...I should be able to comment out this line if I have the following line in
XftConfig:

dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF"

But TrueType fonts don't appear if I do. So I'm thinking maybe my bad
anti-aliasing is a result of something wrong here?

I don't get anti-aliasing at all in Mozilla, but that's probably a whole
'nother problem...

=====
Scott I. Remick   --==--   ICQ: 450152
Save the internet - Use Mozilla: http://home.adelphia.net/~sremick/mozilla/
"Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."