Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 12:21:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        Shimon@i-connect.net (Simon Shapiro), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Patches on senderp-ppp.i-connect.net

> a) It is not ``proprietary'' unless you take legal and proper actions
>    to keep it as such.  In most cases you have done just the opposite,
>    you've given pointers to it in a public forum.

Correct.

> b) The action of making it avaliable to anyone other than yourself
>    is `publication'', thierfor the code is not ``unpublished''.

Then AT&T/USL/Novell/SCO code isn't publication either, since they
contain the same wording.  I'd tend to be believe that the above isn't
true.

> c) Your ftp server welcome message desen't even head any warnings
>    what so ever.

I don't think it matters, since many ftp servers that distribute
copyrighted software don't have welcome messages.  Welcome messages
aren't even standard on stock ftp server.

But, the first clause alone is enough to make things 'interesting.

Nate