Date:      Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:24:26 +0200
From:      "Emmanuel Chriqui" <emmanuel.chriqui@laposte.net>
To:        "'David G. Lawrence'" <dg@dglawrence.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: PXEBOOT/TFTPBOOT + big MD_ROOT problem

> Objet=A0: Re: PXEBOOT/TFTPBOOT + big MD_ROOT problem
>=20
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to make very big MD_ROOT (300MB) sent using =
PXEBOOT+TFTPBOOT.
> No
> > NFS. It's a sort of diskless machine with all the system on ram. =
There
> is a
> > problem when the preloaded image is >~32MB. Kernel loads but it does =
not
> > seem to find the files. It seems as if only part of the image is =
really
> > there. With a "small" image (<~32MB), no probleme. I use the same =
image,
> off
> > course, same init etc... just more data for my application in the =
big
> image
> > case.
> > Am I missing something obvious?
>=20
>    I assume you saw this in the tftpd manual page?
>=20
> BUGS
>      Files larger than 33488896 octets (65535 blocks) cannot be
> transferred
>      without client and server supporting blocksize negotiation =
(RFC1783).
>=20
>      Many tftp clients will not transfer files over 16744448 octets =
(32767
>      blocks).
>=20
>=20
> -DG
Yes. Saw it. My tftp client and pxe+tftp under linux works ok. The tftp
client under FreeBSD seems to work fine (1,5GB tranfered, md5sum =
checked, no
pb). BUT, maybe the tftp client in the FreeBSD pxeboot has a problem.

I am actually trying to make the mfsroot go through NFS. If that works, =
it
will indicate the FreeBSD pxeboot has indeed this problem with TFTP.

Emmanuel.