Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:22:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
Cc:        svysh@pn.sinp.msu.ru (Sergei Vyshenski), freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata sad combinatorics

It seems Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Have a search through the archives as I think someone else had problems
> with the Fujitsus.  What if you disable DMA.  Are you actually using the
> drive in Win98 with DMA drivers ? What if go back to PIO mode.  Perhaps the
> maintainer can shed light on it ?

> >atapci0: <Intel PIIX
> >ATA controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 7.1 on pci0
> >ata0: at 0x1f0 irq
> >14 on atapci0
> >ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0

The old Intel PIIX is know to have DMA problems, I never intended to
support it, but the current code (from luiqi IIRC) was found to be
sufficient IF the BIOS did its job right. I seems that we have a
BIOS here that doesn't setup things the way they should be, and the
DMA setup fails because of that. Is there any way you could upgrade
your BIOS ??

-Søren