Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:22:23 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Linux is UNIX, and FreeBSD is not?"

>That article essentially says that there are efforts --
>supported by The Open Group -- to get Linux the "UNIX98"
>brand.

This is a total vent but I have to get this off my chest.

The Open Group: Now there is a contradiction in terms. Call my observation
myopic if you like. TOG seems to be engaged in the process of ENCUMBERING
any thing they can get their hands on. I really don't like anything I read
from them. I can't understand why orgs line up to get some stupid brand
from them for there OS.

Special Offer - This month only!  You can name FreeBSD "Jason Wells" if
you pay me a fat royalty for doing absolutely nothing. In the mean time,
you better start paying me a fat royalty for the Free GUI from MIT you
have been using all along. I don't care how much you helped me develop it
in the past.

Funny that Mr. Torvalds would chide TOG for it's handling of X and now we
may see TOG branded Linux. That is funny (I am not laughing). Licensing
makes for strange bedfellows.

If this happens, it is an attempt by TOG to get back in bed with the free
software community after the X licensing change. Almost no one that I know
of supported their decision.

I say the entire Linux camp and the TOG can go sleep in the doghouse
together.

(37 expletives deleted in the interest of decorum. Insert expletive at
random for proper reading of this message.)

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/