Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:14:25 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <portmaster@BSDforge.com>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Vote: making wayland=on default

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 00:29:40 +0100 "Michael Gmelin" <freebsd@grem=2Ede> said

> [...]
> >> enable Wayland compositors as an alternative to X (leaving X as is)=2E
> >> This does not break or modify anything existing=2E It does not force you
> >> to do anything differently=2E It simply adds a couple of libraries that
> >> you won't use unless you run Wayland stuff (if you install qt5/gtk30
> >> and mesa-libs)=2E
> >> The reference to Linux making it default might have been unclear=2E
> >> Since FreeBSD doesn't have a default desktop, it's hard to change=2E It
> >> is and will continue to be up to the end user what they choose to use,
> >> we only add more options :)
> > Thanks for the informative reply, Johannes=2E
> > So no kernel (libs/extensions)?
> > Hmm, gtk3=2E Why is it not possible to make the Wayland stuff a sub
> > package/option? I think this is the preferred track/policy anyway=2E
> > I do this for all the ports I currently maintain=2E IOW any DE related
> > stuff I install, that uses GNOME related material, will pull in gtk3,
> > which, as I understand you say, will ultimately pull in Weston,mesa,=2E=2E=2E
> > is that correct? While I understand, you indicate it's only a few Kb=2E
> > I think it's cruft/(unnecessary)overhead=2E Which, in and of itself
> > seems insignificant=2E But in the "big picture", and over many (100's)
> > of builds/installations, is *not* insignificant=2E This also dismisses
> > the security related work, maintaining extra un(used|needed) material=2E
> > I suppose some will think that I'm just being nit-picky=2E But IMHO
> > I'm not=2E This sort of thing, if overlooked, *does* affect the bottom
> > line=2E
> >=20
> > Thanks again, Johannes!
> >=20
> > P=2ES=2E I have nothing against Wayland=2E I'm just not ready to run it
> > on anything "production" related, just yet=2E :-)
> >=20
> > --Chris
> >=20
>=20
> The key is to have it in a state that easy to maintain and allows people =
> install it using pkg install without conflicting with X, so you can switc=
> back and forth easily=2E I'm also not ready to switch to wayland yet (favor=
ite
> window manager not available, so many custom configurations I came up wit=
> over the years etc=2E), but giving users an easy way to test it (or use it,=
 as
> it's becoming more and more mainstream now) is a good thing=2E=20
>=20
> Having a modern, working, out of the box desktop (read: no custom kernel
> builds, no need to use ports, a laptop is the point of first contact for =
many
> potential users) is incredibly important for proliferation and compared t=
> the total size of binaries required to run X, I think the usefulness of
> providing wayland easily outweighs the extra overhead=2E
I wouldn't argue, nor did I argue those points=2E Who would? But muddying up
the individual ports (gtk3 for example) doesn't make anything lighter, or
better=2E Quite the contrary=2E IMHO Wayland should probably be added=2E Who
doesn't like more options? But, if it's coming to FreeBSD, and the ports
tree=2E It should isolate itself as it's own port(s), and include those
dependencies it requires=2E This is supposed to be policy=2E IOW if I decide
to include gtk3 as an option to one of the ports I'm installing as a run/
build depends, I don't want it installing Wayland, mesa, and a bunch of
other things I don't need -- no matter how small they might be=2E
Doesn't that just make sense for *any* port? That's really my only possible
gripe=2E :-)

--Chris