Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 1995 10:28:32 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: disklabel and file system differences between 1.1 and 2.0.5...

From: peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
> In the course of upgrading to 2.0.5 I have reached a point where I want to
> access the "old" system, which is still 1.1.5.1.

> I have to mount the 1.1 file systems ro, because they're dirty. I don't
> want to try fsck-ing them from 2.0.5, lest that break something. 1.1.5.1
> doesn't see 2.0.5 file systems at all.

> Will it?

Both are BSD 4.2 file systems. The difference is in the old partition vs.
new slice code. If you do not use slices (ie. keep the old 1.1.5 partitions
and simply reinstall) both versions will be able to use the disk.

I have both sliced and non-sliced disks mounted on my 2.0.5 system and
have had no problems.

> What are the differences, and which way should I go?

That's a good question. Anyone, aside from interoperability with other
OS's, is there any real advantage gained by slices?

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...