Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 12:38:09 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rdump security?

Hi!

Two questions regarding rdump:

1. I can't quite get it to work ;-)  To get root on client to have
authority to rsh server machine, I tried adding client to the server
~root/.rhosts file. This was not enough. My guess is it has to do with
the login.conf introduced in 2.2.2, especially since it works connecting
to our older 2.1 server. I'm poking around with it right now, but any
tips are appreciated. How do I set up login.conf?

2. How do you go about to set up a decent security with using rdump? If
I do add possibility for rdump to access the server as root, this feels
like a huge security hole, right? So, how do you go about? What about
the 'operator' group? Is this created for this purpose, and will it be
of any use if I want cron to do the job?

best regards,
Palle