Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:42:19 +0000
From:      David Wood <david@wood2.org.uk>
Cc:        Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>, ade@freebsd.org
Subject:   net/freeradius - fixed for RELENG_7 amd64 and 6.x with gcc 4.2

(ade@ cc'd as maintainer of devel/libtool)

Dear all,

I posted previously on the ports mailing list about problems that were
showing up with net/freeradius when built with gcc 4.2 on 6.x and on 7.x
amd64.

At that time I was wondering if there was an arcane problem in the
toolchain, maybe in libtool. In fact, the solution appears to be
straightforward, and not libtool's fault. radiusd was being built -pie,
which was the default from upstream. Patching the upstream Makefile.in
to remove -pie seems to resolve both problems. Thanks to Sean McNeil for
the report.

The moral of the story appears to be "don't use -pie with libtool". I
have no idea why the upstream Makefile.in is like this; I will chase it
with the FreeRADIUS developers.

I've just submitted ports/118425
which should fix that, as well as chasing a heimdal shared library
version bump.

I believe those two fixes may qualify for committing during the current
ports freeze; I've alerted portmgr@ separately.

I've also incorporated a couple of other outstanding fixes, though I
realise that they may well not qualify to be committed alongside the
others because of the ports freeze.

Best wishes,

David
--