Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 18:29:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kirby <kirbykb@airnet.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re:  dammit! :)

Alfred:

>sorry for this, but that system i was talking about in the previous
>message is giving me a heck of a hard time.  The BIOS in it doesn't
>support large harddrives and i have a 4.3 gig IDE in it.

Here's what I did on my machine [722MB, no LBA/etc]. Make a 32 or 33 Mbyte
primary partition below the 500 MB limit, assuming that you only want / to
be 32Mbytes. Make that your / filesystem. Then put /usr, etc. on the
remaining chunk. When FreeBSD is installed/restored, your kernel will boot
from the smaller partition, and when in comes out of "real" mode, it can
access the whole 4.3 GB. BTW, "real" mode ends when the kernel stops spewing
out bright text.

>is there anyway to save the installation i did?
My solution presents a problem because the / filesystem is tarred in there too.
Anyone else?

Regards,

        Kris