Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:50:53 +0200
From:      Lars Engels <lme@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, Martin Wilke <miwi@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [Call for Review] The FreeBSD German Porter's Handbook

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 10:36:32AM +0200, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Martin Wilke wrote:
> >=20
> > For a long time questions come up again and again concerning FreeBSD
> > Ports in the German Communities:
> >=20
> > - How can I create a Port?
> > - What do I have to consider?
> > - Is there a documentation and where can I find it?
> >=20
> > However, this is unfortunately only available in English, which
> > complicates the access and the overall understanding for the users,
> > because of the enormous amount of techchnical terms that it contains.
> >=20
> > Since the 19.06.07, some members of Unixfreunde (http://unixfreunde.de)=
=20
> > and BSDGroup (http://bsdgroup.de) have decided to work together on this
> > and future translation projects.
> >=20
> > The result of this intense work is the Wiki article "Helping in the
> > Ports" in the BSDWiki (https://www.bsdwiki.de/Helfen_in_den_Ports).
> > With continuously rising man-power, we came up with the idea to create
> > a German version of the Porter's Handbook.
> >=20
> > An overview of the projects can be found at https://doc.bsdgroup.de.=20
> > Take a look at https://doc.bsdgroup.de/porter-book/ for the translation
> > of the PH.
> >=20
> > Everyone can contribute to the project. We are deeply grateful for your
> > assistance. Please note that our main target was to translate it in the
> > shortest time possible. There are most likely some errors which should
> > be found and corrected soon. We look forward to any assistance from
> > you. You can send us suggestions/corrections or patches in our IRC
> > channel (#freebsd-doc.de on Freenode.net), by mail to as@BSDGroup.de or
> > to me at miwi@FreeBSD.org.
> >=20
> > - Thanks Martin
> >=20
>=20
> I doubt the wisdom of this. We will end up with maintainers whose English
> doesn't suffice to handle PRs sufficiently. I think for developing positi=
ons,
> even as simple as maintaining a small port, English is obligatory.
>=20
> Just my 2=A2, I know many will disagree.

A localized Porter's handbook will let people overcome the obstacle of
creating their first port more easily than with the English version.
When this first step is made, and one has understood the dos and don'ts
of porting, there are some more things to learn including working on or
writing English PRs but I doubt that anybody who wants to maintain a port
does not speak any English at all.
And if it turns out to be a problem, there is still a big and very
helpful German community to assist any potential maintainer.

Lars

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB--