Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:25:21 -0500
From:      Jim Arnold <jarnold@knightridder.com>
Subject:   Re: Hubs and switches (was: uninformed qstn...)

At 10:07 PM -0800 12/12/02, Gary D Kline wrote:
>	Hi People,
>	Before I (potentially) throw aay some bills, I thought I'd
>	ask the hardware-savvy if there is any appreciable difference
>	between makes of hubs.
>
>	After 5 years I am getting ready to move up to a 10/100 RJ-45
>	hub.  I've got  a 5-port Linksys (always had good luckwith
>	Linksys); thinking of buying an 8-port 10/100 Linksys for
>	around $50.   Would buying a non-name-brand clone do the same
>	job?

I finally got a few hundred bucks to switch our small office over
from hubs to switches. We only have about 12 computers on our
network. I wound up buy D-Link switches from NewEgg, a 16 port,
several 5's and several 8-port switches. All told it was around $350.

As a test I created a 100 MB file. With the hubs in place it took 119
seconds to transfer that file from one BSD box to another on the
network. After replacing the hubs with the switches it took 9 seconds
to transfer the same file! With each test I transferred the file
three times to check for variances, which there were none.

--Jim