Date:      12 Sep 2000 00:57:04 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/Mesa3 Makefile

 * From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>

 * Hmm, that is not exactly what I'm thinking of. In my view it should be
 * immediately available after cvsup, because I suspect that actually very few
 * committers read Porter's Handbook often. It can be called ports/NEWS instead of
 * ports/UPDATING - the name doesn't matter.

Gee, is this the "history repeats itself" month or what? ;)

The Porter's Handbook used to be a file called ports/GUIDELINES.  It
got too long so we converted it into a chapter in the old Handbook.
(Of course, it got too long for that too and was made its own book,
but that's another story.)

I wouldn't object to a short file that contains only the last couple
months' worth of changes but the entries shouldn't be more than
something like:

 2000/09/09: New variables PORTREVISION and PORTEPOCH.  See the
             "Package Names" section in handbook.  <URL if necessary>

Otherwise we'll just be repeating ourselves.  The handbook is the
definite reference (when it's not lagging behind bsd.port.mk), and we
should encourage people to read it.  However, I admit it is lacking a
good list of "NEW!" icons and a ports/NEWS file might be a nice way to
arouse people's attention.

Satoshi