Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:20:05 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck and memory filesytems (fsck_mfs: No such file or directory)

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:00:06PM +0000, Christopher Key wrote:
> The problem is, I'm sure, is essentially identical to that described in,
>=20
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-current@freebsd.org/msg21675.html
>=20
> namely that the entry for the memory filesystem, /tmp, in /etc/fstab is=
=20
> confusing fsck.  My /etc/fstab looks like,
>=20
> # cat /etc/fstab
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump   =
=20
> Pass#
> /dev/ad8s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad8s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
> md                      /tmp            mfs     rw,-s64m               =
=20
> 2      2
> /dev/ad8s1f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad8s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad8s1d             /var/tmp        ufs     rw              3       3
> /dev/mirror/gm0s1d      /svn            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/mirror/gm0s2d      /data           ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/mirror/gm0s3d      /music          ufs     rw              2       2
>=20
> I can get the system to boot quite happily by carrying on into single=20
> user mode and exiting, but I still get the same behaviour next reboot.
>=20
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

mount_mfs(8), in the EXAMPLES section, says this:

     Create and mount a 32 megabyte swap-backed file system on /tmp:

           mdmfs -s 32m md /tmp

     The same file system created as an entry in /etc/fstab:

           md /tmp mfs rw,-s32m 2 0

Try setting the passno field (the last one) to 0, and see how that works.

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _