Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:00:52 -0700
From:      Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Nick LoPresti <nick@chromatix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake 3

At 3:13 PM -0500 7/30/99, Dan Nelson wrote:
>In the last episode (Jul 30), Nick LoPresti said:
>> Has anyone attempted to port a "Quake 3 Arena" server to FreeBSD?
>> Anywhere I could find some info on this?
>
>I haven't tried the latest binary, but the Linux q3test 1.05 server
>worked just fine under emulation.

There are 2 outcomes:

   - works fine under linux emulation. Frag on!

   - works, but eats up your processor. Sitting completely idle, the
q3 server will show a 1.0 workload. Other servers running on the box
will be lagged. Happens on Linux servers too, so it isn't a FreeBSD
issue.

The latter is much more common unfortunately, and is what happened to
me. We don't run a server because of it. :-(

On a slightly different note, i tried to install the game on my box
(3.2-stable). Got it running, in a window under enlightenment, but I
don't even get 1 FPS. The cursor won't even track without a 5 second
delay. I've got a P2 266 with a Voodoo3. I followed the directions by
Mark Taylor to a T. :-( Anyone else?

       http://www.cybernet.com/~mtaylor/q3ahowto.html

Thanks,
jon