Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 22:30:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: asbestos suited static vi

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> [ bcc'd to -hackers to reap some opinions, discussion to -chat]
>
> OK, there are many people against having a static linked vi by default.  I
> agree with many of the reasons given that it would be a Bad Thing (tm) in
> the default.
>
> That said, it DOES offer additional capabilities and flexibility; I can't
> imagine anyone that would argue that.  These come at a sacrifice which
> many are not willing to make.  What would be the interest in a package'd
> static linked vi and supplementary fi les, and/or a source patch, so you
> can choose to have a static vi in /bin if you choose?  Several people have
> expresses at least academic interest in it.  So I think I may give it a
> stab.  What advice can anyone offer, caevets, wish list, etc in this?  Maybe
>  eventually a set of packages of static binaries (shells, editors, etc)
> that someone might want to plop into their oversized / partition...  but
> let's not get ahead of ourselves.

You're completely missing a major point.  Your argument is that there
are some good reasons for some of us to want it.  No argument.  If you
want it adopted, you'd have to argue that your reasons are strong enough
to override the equally good reasons some *don't* want it.

In other words, you want it, and you want to force everyone to have it,
even though you can supply it yourself adequately.  Many disagree with
that part of it.

> IS there any interest, or any thoughts?

> |       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
> * "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
> | that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
> *    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
> |      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |