Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 2014 14:16:09 -0600
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ Attic URLs, eg for ports/mail/demime ?

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2014, olli hauer wrote:
>
>> $ grep demime /usr/ports/MOVED
>> mail/demime||2011-12-28|Has expired: No upstream development since 2007
>
> Is it the practice of FreeBSD to remove ports that are so stable that
> there is no need to modify them any further?

It is not the practice of FreeBSD to remove stable ports.  There are
several reasons a stable port may be removed:

1. Licensing
2. source is no longer available and no one willing to host the last
version of the sources
3. Port Maintainer has abandoned the port and no one is willing to
keep the port maintained (i.e stage support)

In this case, the port maintainer asked:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2011-October/070886.html