Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 1997 22:31:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        osiris2002@yahoo.com (Charlie Roots)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ps proc size mismatch - HELP ME

Charlie Roots said:
> I cvsuped on 5/12/97 and build world, build kernel, all went fine.
>
> I cvsuped again 13/12/97 and build kernel only.
> NOW, I am having this error whenever I type ps to get a list of active
> processes.
>
> Any Idea what is going on, did I make a mistake somewhere or the
> cvsuped files got soaped.
>
> Please Help.

You are not really indicating a bug, but an error that is a frequently
asked question.  One is usually only lucky that ps will continue to
work between kernel revs.  What you need to do is to rebuild libkvm,
and then various programs that use it including ps, w, and a few others.

Make sure that you re-cvsup libkvm and ps.  All of these steps aren't
always needed, and that is where we get caught with people who don't
know about this problem :-(.  (Basically, the abstraction for
our interface between user and kernel data structures is in need of
work.)

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org