Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 2017 17:46:25 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Filtering Email

I have a local mail server (postfix, dovecot LDA) that receives mail =
that is forwarded from my main account's mail server.  Virtually all =
mail is forwarded so the received from address is the same for all.  For =
a number of years we have used drive-by mail blocking on the main MTA.  =
Basically it sends a TEMP_FAIL to the first email from an unknown sender =
and then if they later retry, it is accepted.  This blocked over 90% of =
the spam a few years ago as spammers didn't bother to pay for retries.  =
However, the environment has changed and it appears that the spammer's =
MTAs now do retry so a lot of spam is getting through.

I am looking to be able to filter mail on the local MTA (either postfix =
or dovecot) so that I can have a table of IP addresses/names that if any =
appear in any Received header the email is filtered to the bit bucket.  =
It appears that is possible in dovecot pigeonhole (I am using that).  =
However, it is not table driven.  You have to write a rule for each =
name/IP.  I don't see anyway to have it refer to a table.  Is such =
possible?

=E2=80=94 Doug