Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 95 10:42:57 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Splicing in a new serial line protocol

> Would anyone care to comment on where to splice in a new serial line
> protocol?  I haven't looked at the code at all yet; I plan on looking
> later on today.

Ha!  I recognize this protocol... can't quite place what equipment it
goes with though; are you perhaps doing blood gas analysis?

The place I'd implement it would be in a user mode process and not in
the kernel at all -- everything that you do in terms of line bidding,
etc. is on the basis of in-band data only.  Since there is no need
for detailed control of line signals, a user space process is more
than adequate, and better for file I/O for storing it off.

I rememeber implementing this in a TERM script under SCO Xenix.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.