Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 23:58:06 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for review: nsswitch

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Since we're on this topic anyway, there is one thing which has always
> > > bothered me:  Why don't we have the option of a per user alias file
> > > for hostnames ?
> >
> > 'cause that feature would totally rule and we can't have any ruling as
> > we're stodgy old BSD.  :)
>
> I always thought that it was for the same reason that root
> does not have "." in its path by default.

To avoid being completely stupid?

One of the UNIX systems I've used over the years, probably SunOS, allowed
you to add the name of a host as a {sym,}link to rlogin; the executable
would check argv[0] and if it wasn't a recognized pattern try it as a
hostname.  The common usage was to add links to your favorite hosts in
/hosts/name and add that to your PATH.

My vote would be to add this feature to ssh.