Date:      Tue, 22 May 2007 18:54:30 +0200
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jona Joachim <jaj@hcl-club.lu>, Florent Thoumie <flz@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: use OPTIONS in x11-drivers/xorg-drivers

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 18:35:22 Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Jona Joachim wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I just wanted to ask why the x11-drivers/xorg-drivers port installs all
> > those drivers unconditionally.
> > Wouldn't it be sensible to use the OPTIONS framework to let the user
> > choose what he wants and needs?
> > To make the choice easier for the user you could enable drivers that he
> > most likely needs by default.
> > To find out what graphics driver he needs you could consult pciconf(8).
>
> This will be done within the next few weeks.

I'm wondering though if using OPTIONS here will look a bit overwhelming as if
one knows what to select there will only be a couple of drivers selected
(mostly 3) amongst 59 currently available options. Perhaps using a variable
like "WITH_X_DRIVERS=keyboard mouse vga" in make.conf might be more
appropriate for this particular case?

Dejan