Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 1997 12:01:14 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange lpr or lpd bug

Two printers connected to one FreeBSD server; all prints are done using either
$ lpr -s -h -r -P<printer name> <filename>
(spawned by a shell script spawned by samba)
or
$ lpr -h <filename>
(spawned by hand by me - nobody else use lpr from the command line)

Problem: lp2 sometimes start to steal all the print jobs of lp.  When this
has started, all jobs that should have gone to lp goes to lp2 instead (and
these are named jobs of the first form - and they are named correctly; I
syslog the name).  This kind of theft has happened twice since I installed
the extra printer about 1.5 months ago.  It has happened with both lpd from
2.1.0 and lpd from -stable as of Feb 18.

I seem to remember that killing lpd solved the problem last time; this
time, I had to remove the offending printer from printcap.

My printcap:
#       @(#)printcap    5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

lp|HP LaserJet 5MP Network:\
        :rm=karianne.dimaga.com:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

lp2|local line printer:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

If anybody can supply ideas for things to test, I'll try to make the
problem reproducable and hunt it down.

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org