Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 16:45:06 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net, terry@cs.weber.edu
Subject:   Re: Using space in a DOS filesystem

>The vn driver is a no-go if we want to boot from this, which is the
>whole idea.  Remember, the aim here is to provide a safer way to plonk
>a FreeBSD filesystem onto a disk covered in a FAT filesystem.

You would need to have the vn device and various tools on the boot
device.  This is acceptable for demos and installations, but not so
good for use.

>> To test it you could create a slice inside the DOS slice containing the
>> file.  I think fdisk allows bogus things like that.  Not recommended.

>Understood.

Committing the bogus slice to the partition table looks better than
ever.  It allows booting from a normal slice.  Anything else has large
bootstrapping problems.

>> The vn driver method already has water :-).  Try your file that hides
>> the sectors as a vn device.  It can't hurt to have the sectors contiguous

>Will do - as far as I understand, I can't disklabel a vn device, so it's
>not the final answer...

vn devices can be both sliced and labeled.  They just can't be booted from.

Bruce