Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:41:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Satwant <wizkid11@xnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: serial patch problemRe: Cant configure serial port.

On Sunday, 19 July 1998 at  6:00:35 -0400, Satwant wrote:
> ----------
>> From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
>> To: Satwant <wizkid11@xnet.com>
>> Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>> Subject: Re: serial patch problemRe: Cant configure serial port.
>> Date: Saturday, July 18, 1998 10:26 PM
>>
>> On Saturday, 18 July 1998 at 20:56:17 -0500, Satwant wrote:
>>> ----------

>> (Mailer breakage in the following quotes repaired)

>>> I downloaded the serial patch from Lehey's home page, an dtried :
>>>
>>> patch -p0 serial...
>>>
>>> It gives following error messages:
>>>
>>> Patching file /sys/i386/isa/sio.c using plan A
>>>
>>> hunk # 1 failed at 489
>>> hunk # 2 failed at 653
>>>
>>> ..
>>> Hmm. ignoring trailing garbage.
>>>
>>> What should I do to fix it ?
>>
>> RTFM.  Which version of FreeBSD are you running?  Which version did
>> you download?
>
> What is RTFM ?

It's hackerspeak for "Read the Manual" (the F is usually silent).
Basically, it means "read the documentation".

> I use 2.2.6, and I used serial patch for 2.2.6.

This is strange.  This patch does work under those circumstances.
Anyway, I hope you kept the original file (it was renamed to
sio.c.orig).  Put it back where it came from.  You can get a patched
version of sio.c at ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/sio.c-2.2.6.  Make sure to
rename it to /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sio.c before building a new kernel.

> Also, I found out something else.  sio0 ans sio2 were not
> responding.. so I went to toshiba site, looked up specs for TECRA
> CDT 550. It said modem is on pci bus.

Interesting.  Can you give me the URL for this, please?

> So I changed the kernel entry to look for serial ports on pci bus as
> follows:
>
> 	sio0 at pci? port x03f8 irq 4
> 	sio1 at pci? port x02f8 irq 3

I'm pretty sure that that won't work.  If the serial I/O is really on
the PCI bus, I don't think we have support for it.

> and in dmesg, I no longer get "sio0 not found", and "sio1 not found"

What do you get?

> so I thought now the serail port (COM0) and modem (COM1) should be fine,
> but that is not the case.

No news is not necessarily good news.

> I go in ppp, and it still says /dev/cuaa1 not configured.
>
> What should I do, I am doing my PhD project on freebsd, and I cant get it
> running so far ( as far as networking is concerned). Was my trust in
> freebsd misplaced ? Did I make a mistake in thinking your book, the CDs and
> the freebsd groups would be enough of a support ?

No.  But we need a bit more input from you as well.

Greg