Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 00:31:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Advice for diagnosing X hangs / kernel hangs?

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on how to diagnose the causes of hangs (no
keyboard, no mouse, music which was playing stops, no disk activity) that
happen to me occassionally under X.

I have a 4M Matrox Millenium which I run 1024x768, 32bpp.  These problems
have occured since 2.1.7.1 (and XAccel from about 1.3).

They happen to me more frequently under Xfree86 than under XAccel, but
they happen under both.

The most frequent culprit application is Netscape, but they also happen
occassionally with other applications, even down to my wm (fvwm2), almost
always freezing when I am using the mouse in some respect. (I have a
serial mouse.)

While I am not entirely sure, I believe that the problem actually takes
the whole kernel with it, and not just X, as I have had MIDI sound and the
/etc/daily stop when these crashes happen.

Since it does not seem to be a kernel panic (/var/log/messages is silent
when they happen) I am looking for ideas on how to diagnose this problem
more fully.

Right now, I am trying to run processes in the plain consoles to (a) sync,
and (b) try to reboot when it detects the X server hung, but the "rescue"
process seems to die before it can signal init to initiate a shutdown of
some sort.

Any other ideas on how to diagnose this problem more fully?

bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/