Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:51:33 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        blackthorne@utah-inter.net (Micheal Blackthorne)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Trouble at the "Boot:" prompt]

Micheal Blackthorne wrote:

> I am very new to FreeBSD and have been trying for some time to get it
> working on a spare PC of mine.  The problem is that it appears that I
> complete the installation of FreeBSD only to reboot and find myself at a
> "Boot:" prompt.  After waiting for a few seconds at this prompt it
> automatically scrolls the screen displaying "Invalid Format!" and then the
> same information which appears to be a command options list for the "Boot:"
> prompt.  I have already contacted freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG and the
> individual that responded was not able to resolve the problem.  He in turn
> suggested I contact freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG.  They in turn were mostly
> rude and referred me to this list.

Sorry you've been having a hard time getting your question answered.
This really is the sort of thing that *should* have been dealt with
on the -questions list (but that's hardly your fault).

Try typing

    /boot/loader

at the "Boot:" prompt.

If that doesn't get you going, e-mail me off-line and we can probably
get you up and running reasonably quickly.

--
Robert Nordier