Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:38:47 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd and ftd

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sat, 14 February 1998 at 10:19:49 +0900, Michael Hancock wrote:
> > I'm looking for a fault tolerant solution.  I know Greg is working on a
> > ftd driver.
> >
> > In the meantime I noticed that ccd supports mirroring.  I'd like to mirror
> > two arrays of 3 to 4 disk each.  How well does this work?
>
> Do you mean more than one mirror?  I don't believe that works.
> Certainly I can't see how it can from reading the code.

The man pages says you can mirror any even number of disks.  What I'd like
to do is this:

2940 - disk1 - disk2 - disk3 - disk4

	and mirror/duplex the whole array with another identical array.

2940 - disk5 - disk6 - disk7 - disk8

Interestingly, man ccdconfig talks about CCDF_MIRROR and an unimplemented
flag CCDF_PARITY.

Although, it looks like they have hooks for more fault-tolerant features
in ccd I agree with your effort to make a separate fault-tolerant driver
and keeping the ccd a light-weight, primarily for striping-only driver.
Are you going to be able to share some code with it?

Regards,

Mike Hancock