Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 21:46:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        amy@explorer.tip.CSIRO.AU, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum (was: CCD questions)

Thanks everyone for all the good information....

On 29 Oct, Greg Lehey wrote:

> The point here is that Stepen used the -v option for newfs, which
> tells newfs to ignore partition information.  This is needed for
> Vinum, and hasn't been used for anything else.  Stephen, what does
> 'newfs /dev/rccd0c' do?

To be honest, I don't remember... I jotted down these notes as I was
building the system, but needed to get it back in production and didn't
have a lot of time to try different options. I do remember that when
I followed the tutorial instructions *exactly*, it failed.. I think that
the error message was something about "can't rewrite disk label". I
believe that I needed to do the disklabel trick to get the newfs to
complete.

>>> Finally, the CCD homepage at http://stampede.cs.berkeley.edu/ccd/
>>> seems unavailable. Is this temporary or permanent?
>>
>> CCD is deprecated by vinum.
>
> I think that, as long as ccd is still available (and I don't see it
> going away soon), the docco should be available too.

Perhaps the tutorial should be updated to point folks towards vinum?

Thanks,
-SR