Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:56:09 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        mkn <mkn@emailbox.hdtv.lucent.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unsupport calls

This is a more appropriate message for -hackers, so I'm following up
there.

On Monday, 29 June 1998 at 19:31:20 -0400, mkn wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm looking to port a solaris 2.5 system to FreeBSD.  My investigation
> has found the following library and system calls to *not* be supported
> on FreeBSD:
>
> Are my observations correct?

Partially.  I've rearranged these slightly.  My comments relate to
3.0-CURRENT, but I've checked 2.2-STABLE and there doesn't seem to be
a big difference.

> fdatasync - no support in FreeBSD.  Maybe not a big deal.

Yes, I can't find it either, not even in the Solaris man pages.  What
does it do?

> sigwait - no support in FreeBSD.
> sigset - no support in FreeBSD
> sighold - no support in FreeBSD
> sigrelse - no support in FreeBSD

These are the System V signal functions, arguably the worst choice of
the currently available signal implementations.  FreeBSD has the BSD
functions instead, as well as the POSIX.1 signals which were derived
from them.  See more about this in my book "Porting UNIX software".  I
recommend porting to the POSIX.1 signals, which are also supported by
Solaris.

> time - no support in FreeBSD, but there has to be a replacement.

time(3) is in libc.a.  I don't see how you missed this one.

> lockf - no support in FreeBSD.  Have to implement our own using fcntl(2)

Correct.  Again, an improvement which should also work under Solaris.

> plock - no support in FreeBSD.

Correct.  I'm not sure how to do this one, either.  What do you need
it for?

> pthread_sigmask - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_kill - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_mutex_init - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_mutex_lock - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_mutex_unlock - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_mutex_destroy - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_attr_init - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_attr_setscope - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_cancel - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_testcancel - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_setcancelstate - no support in FreeBSD
> pthread_setcanceltype - no support in FreeBSD

These are all in libc_r.<mumble>.

> readdir_r - no support on FreeBSD.  This maybe a threads issue

Correct.  There's a readdir in libc_r.a.  I wonder if it corresponds.

> If so, are there alternative calls that I can use as a replacement?

About the only serious one I can see is plock.  Maybe somebody else on
the list can comment.

Greg