Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:38:41 +0100
From:      "Andy [Tecc Nops]" <andy@tecc.co.uk>
To:        "Peter Ulrich (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: dual boot pain

> What does "nothing seems to work" mean?
> What happens? 	- Your screen stays black
> 		- Your BIOS produces little sounds
> 		- Windows is booted immediately, no question for BSD
>
> Uli.

OK, nothing seems to work means:-

Installed w2k on Pri ide drive
Installed fbsd on sec ide drive

First tried to get the fbsd boot manager to dual boot.
What I get is:-
 F1 Windows
 F2 FreebSD
 F5 Drive 1

F1 loads Windows, F2 just beeps and loads nothing and F5 worked.
However on next reboot comes up "Boot error" and the loader is
gone and I need to either a) reinstall boot manager or b)
install everything again (real pain).

I tried the NTLdr "boot.ini" method outlined by Kent but all I get
whe trying to load C:\bootsect.bsd="FreeBSD" where bootsect.bsd is
/boot/boot0 copied over to the windows drive. When making this
selection in the NTLdr I get "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT" and pressing
any key does just that! I can load Windows but I cannot load FreeBSD.

I've tried many types of install.
1. Load FreeBSD first, then Windows
2. Load Windows first, then FreeBSD

I've tried creating "mini" partitions on thepri ide
drive and dual boot from there. None seem to work,
I can either boot freebsd or windows, just not either
by selection.

The only way I have so far managed to dual boot is by
using BIOS. If I select A,C,SCSI from the bios boot option
I get Windows. If I choose D,A,SCSI from bios it boots
FreeBSD disk. However, using bios to select OS at boot
time is really not an option as "end-users" have to use
this machine. Letting them meddle with bios is not a
prefered option.

One point to note, I did this a minute ago:-

boot0cfg -Bv -b /boot/boot0 -f /boot/winmbr -s 5 -o niupdate

This replaced the Windows NTLdr on ad0 and when I boot now:-

 F1 Windows
 F5 FreeBSD

Pressing F1 hung the system. On reboot, tried F5 and
got:-

 F1 FreeBSD
 F5 Drive 1

F1 hangs. F5 produces

 F1 FreeBSD
 F5 Drive 2

F1 hangs, F5 hangs.

Back to "fixit" and the live file system :(

Can anyone make sense of this? I'm at a complete
loss. I've spent 5 days installing OS afetr OS
with no conclusion to this. Any help would be
much appreciated.

Regards
Ak