Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 2010 05:43:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        simon@olofsson.de, glewis@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tweak FreeBSD 8 for optimal java/weka performance

--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:

From: Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To: "Dino Vliet" <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, glewis@freebsd.org, simon@olofsson.de
Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 11:28 PM

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 06:54:22AM -0800, Dino Vliet wrote:
> Dear freebsd people,
> ?
> in a few days I will install freebsd 8.0 amd64 on my 8GB RAM dual core
> machine and use the system as a application server. I will install
> the /usr/ports/textproc/weka toolkit, a program written in java. I
> will use the diablo jdk port in /usr/ports/java.
> ?
> Due to the nature of the research I will be doing I will need to max
> out my machine for optimal java performance. For example, I will use
> the?-Xmx7g flag frequently to set?the maximun java heap size?to 7GB.
> ?
> Are there any other tweaks I should think of to get as much RAM for
> my java programs?
> Like building custom and small kernel, in order to minimize te size
> of the kernel?
> ?

I'd recommend using openjdk6 instead of Diablo if you want to maximise
performance.=A0 Diablo is getting old and isn't available natively for 8.x
(its runs as a compatible binary with the compat7x port installed).

IIRC there is an option to tell the JVM to use as much RAM as possible,
but I don't recall it off the top of my head.=A0 There should be some docs
on this on the main Java site at Sun and they will be equally relevant to
FreeBSD as they are to any other OS.

--=20
Greg Lewis=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Email=A0=A0=
=A0: glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=A0=A0Web=A0 =A0=
=A0=A0: http://www.eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.=
org
Thanks for the advice, but isn't=A0weka depandent on=A0diablo-jdk-1.6.0.07.=
02_7, so I guess I'll have to=A0do something (change makefile to what?) bef=
ore I install weka?=A0
=A0
Thanks
Dino=0A=0A=0A