Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Ken Marsh <durang@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Jason Parsons <jparsons@dreamscape.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: me again.  mail question

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Ken Marsh wrote:

> Your ISP has to have POP capabilities, then you need a pop client. This is
> as far as I got, because the pop client comes with very poor
> documentation, and the ISP's docs are to access the POP server in a
> regular way, not using POP to nab the mail a read it locally, but to
> merely access the mail and read it remotely.

I'd say that popclient is one of the most straightforward programs I've
installed.  One man page to read with all the options given.  The purpose
of popclient (usually, anyway) is to retrieve mail from a remote mail
server and read it locally, not remotely.  I run the following from .login,
but on a machine connected by ethernet; it would not work to run
popclient from a machine on which you must first make a slip or ppp
connection until you make the connection.  This command runs version three
of popclient verbosely with my username and password given and puts the
mail in a file called in-newmail, one of my pine folders, after connecting
to the host hoover.stanford.edu.

Note that the host must be running a pop server.  (If you're worried
about destroying mail you can ask popclient to leave the mail on the
remote host.)

popclient -3 -v -u username -p password -o /usr/home/andrsn/in-newmail hoover.stanford.edu

> It's quite frustrating, I have gotten such a minute amount of support that
> I've put my POP aspirations on ice for the moment. Let me know if you
> figure it out!
>
> I have managed to get my local copy of pine to send outgoing messages to a
> queue, which then go to the ISP when I hook up, but even that works only
> sporadically, and like POP, sendmail is also poorly documented (Unless you
> buy a book, which is certain to be over 2 inches thick.)

Now why are the messages going to the ISP?  The only issue here is whether
you use sendmail on your own machine (when connected by ppp or slip) as the
mail transport agent or whether you use the ISP.  If you use sendmail it
probably bypasses the ISP altogether except as a hop.  If you use sendmail
on your own machine it must be running.

Note that pine itself has no popclient capabilities.  Popclient is a
program you run separately from pine, although it will put the mail in
a pine folder or in fact in any folder you ask it to.

> Ken
>
> On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Jason Parsons wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to make the local mail directory a link to my popmail
> > account?  I would like to be able to run mail stuff locally and get my
> > mail on my own system.  I am connecting via ppp.  Please assume that I am
> > stupid and tell me exactly what I can do.  Thanks again for all your help.
> >
> > Jason

Hope the helps.

Annelise